The Urbana Free Library Foundation was established in 1997 as a non-profit organization managed by a volunteer Board of Directors. Following the completion of a successful capital campaign and expansion of the Library in 2005, the Foundation continues to advocate and promote support of the Library to benefit the community, meet the emerging needs of library users, and plan for future expansion.
Because of the high level of support that we have seen for the Library from the Urbana community in providing outstanding facilities and excellent patron services, we continually look to keep our Foundation Board a reflection of the citizens of Urbana. Please let us know if you have an interest in participating with us as a Board member (Foundation Board Information Packet and Foundation Bylaws).
Support the Foundation's Annual Campaign
Going strong for 144 years -- with your support!
The Urbana Free Library Foundation's had an amazing year! Donations supported:
- Repair of the library's historic front porch (starting in November!)
- A visit from National Slam Champion poet Elizabeth Acevedo to kick off the Pygmalion Lit Festival (attended by over 120 people!)
- Landscaping on the corner lot at Race and Green Streets (soon featuring the sculpture Races!)
- Purchase of 10 WiFi hotspots to increase internet access in the community (43 checkouts in 2 months!)
Help us make 2019 even better! Please consider making a donation to the Foundation to support Library collections, programs, and facilities. Your gift can make a difference, no matter the size.
The Library is a comfortable, safe place for so many in our community. It's a place to learn, come together, and explore. For Anora, Library materials improve her quality of life. For Susan, Library programs expand her educational and entertainment experiences. And for Jay, Library spaces provide connection -- social and technological. We know you have your own story about learning, gathering, and exploring at the Library. Your gift can help create more of those stories for everyone in our community.
The Urbana Free Library has a special bond with its community, and we know we share that bond with you. Please help the Library deepen its impact in the community by donating generously.
The Urbana Free Library Foundation President Ruth Wyman talking about the 2018 annual campaign.
Support the Foundation Online or Print a PDF Form
The Foundation Board is a volunteer Board of Directors comprised of community members, representatives of the Library Board of Trustees, Friends of The Urbana Free Library, the City of Urbana, and the Library Administration.
With your support the Foundation has been able to provide the following enhancements, which were outside of the Library’s budget:
- Purchase of the vacant corner lot at 202 W. Green Street
- Purchase of the corner lot, including a rental property, staff parking lot and greenspace at the southwest corner of Race and Green Streets
- Music programs for children and adults
- Upright piano for concerts in the Busey-Mills Reading Room
- Outdoor sculptures
- Cherry Alley Arch and Pavers
- Outdoor benches and planters
- Art @ Your Library
- Flower boxes on the Race Street porch
- Restoration of maps and drawings in the Champaign County Historical Archives