A notary public is almost always available whenever the Library is open.
There is a $1.00 fee per notarization. Effective July 1, 2023, notary fees will increase to $2.00 for the first notarization and $1.00 for any needed notarizations thereafter.
Notary service is offered at the first floor Welcome Desk. Contact the Library with any questions.
The purpose of notarization is to prevent fraud and forgery. A notary acts as an official and unbiased witness to the identity of persons who come before the notary for a specific purpose.
- Please do not sign your documents before you come to the Library. We are required to see you sign your documents.
- Each person signing the document must be present for us to notarize their signature.
- An ID with your signature is required so that we can verify your identity. PLEASE NOTE: The ID must be issued by a state or federal government agency and must bear the photographic image of the individual’s face and signature.
- Examples of acceptable IDs issued by a state or federal government agency with both a photographic image and signature are a valid state driver’s license or ID card, a United States military ID, or a valid passport.
- Examples of IDs we cannot accept are Social Security cards, United States passport cards, or University of Illinois IDs that do not bear a photographic image or signature.
- Some documents require one or more witnesses. If your document requires witness(es) as well as your own signature and notarization, please bring with you a sufficient number of people willing to serve as your witnesses.
- The Library cannot notarize government I-9 forms, nor can we provide an Apostille.