A notary public is almost always available whenever the Library is open. There is a $1.00 fee per notarization. Notary service is offered at the first floor Information Desk. Questions? Call 217-367-4405.
The purpose of notarization is to prevent fraud and forgery. A notary acts as an official and unbiased witness to the identity of persons who come before the notary for a specific purpose.
- Please do not sign your documents before you come to the Library. We are required to see you sign your documents.
- Each person signing the document must be present for us to notarize their signature.
- An ID with your signature is required so that we can verify your identity. PLEASE NOTE: The ID must be issued by a state or federal government agency and must bear the photographic image of the individual’s face and signature.
- Examples of acceptable IDs issued by a state or federal government agency with both a photographic image and signature are a valid state driver’s license or ID card, a United States military ID, or a valid passport.
- Examples of IDs we cannot accept are Social Security cards, United States passport cards, or University of Illinois IDs that do not bear a photographic image or signature.
- Some documents require one or more witnesses. If your document requires witness(es) as well as your own signature and notarization, please bring with you a sufficient number of people willing to serve as your witnesses.
- The library cannot notarize government I-9 forms, nor can we provide an Apostille.