Join us for Summer Reading fun! May 15 - August 31
This year’s theme is Reading Colors Your World
Children’s Summer Reading Program (birth-entering 6th grade)
- Track reading online with Beanstack or a reading log that you can print from home or pickup at the Library when open.
- For every 600 minutes children read or are read to, they win a free book! Up to two books during the summer!
- This year you can also complete summer activities on Beanstack or the back of your flyer and earn a free bookmark!
Teen Summer Reading Program (6th-12th grade)
- Track reading online with Beanstack.
- For every 600 minutes read, teens win a free book. Up to two books during the summer!
- Teens who have read at least 15 minutes are entered into a monthly drawing for a free book series.
- This year you can also complete summer activities on Beanstack! Can you complete them all?
Adult Summer Reading Program (post high school and up)
- Track reading online with Beanstack.
- For every four books read, adults win a free book. Up to two books during the summer!
- This year you can also complete summer activities on Beanstack and earn a free bookmark!
Participants who earn a prize are automatically entered into a raffle for one of three Roku Expresses. Winners will be drawn after Summer Reading ends.
Jump start Summer Reading by picking up an Activity Kit! There are kits for all ages and each kit includes a craft to make at home and Summer Reading material. Kits are available starting May 15.
Available while supplies last.
Pick up your reading prize at the Library or by calling 217-367-4057 and scheduling a Curbside Pickup appointment.
The Summer Reading Program is generously supported by the Friends of The Urbana Free Library.
#1000BooksB4K - Growing Readers One Book at a Time
Welcome to 1,000 Books Before Kindergarten - a year-round reading program for children ages birth to five years. It's the fun, exciting, and free way to start children on the path to success.
One of the most reliable predictors of school success is being read to during early childhood. The Library would like to help support you as you prepare your child for kindergarten. Most importantly, sharing books with children promotes a lifelong love of books and reading.
Just follow these steps to begin:
- Register: Sign up at the Children's Services question desk or online. Pick up program materials at the Library or print them from the website.
- Track Your Reading: Mark your reading record for each book you read with your child.
- Every Book Counts: Even if your child wants to hear the same book again and again, you can count it each time. You can also count the books your child hears at a story time, in day care or preschool, or with a friend or family member. As long as your child listens to the entire book, it counts!
- 100-Book Milestones: Each time you read 100 books, bring your reading record to the Library to receive a special sticker. Take home a new reading record for your next 100 books or print one from the Library's website.
- 500 and 1,000 Books: You did it! Come to the Library and receive a free book. Look for your picture on the Library's Facebook page.
- Keep on Reading: Don’t stop at 1,000! Keep on reading together—there’s more learning ahead!
Singing songs, saying rhymes, telling stories, and playing with your child are all great ways to build their literacy skills. The Library has free programs for children that are fun and educational. It's also a place to find great books to share!
1,000 books may seem like a lot, but if you read just one book a night, you'll meet your goal in less than three years. If you read three books a night, you could reach your goal in just one year! Ask our friendly staff for suggestions—we're here to help you on your journey to 1,000 Books Before Kindergarten!
Book prizes are funded by the Friends of The Urbana Free Library
More photos for 500 and 1,000 Books milestones from 2019 and beyond on the Library's Facebook page.
2018 Photo Gallery
2017 Photo Gallery
2016 Photo Gallery
1 - 100 Reading Log
101 - 200 Reading Log
201 - 300 Reading Log
301 - 400 Reading Log
401 - 500 Reading Log
501 - 600 Reading Log
601 - 700 Reading Log
701 - 800 Reading Log
801 - 900 Reading Log
901 - 1,000 Reading Log