Records We Maintain
Note: Exemptions under the Illinois Freedom of Information Act may allow non-disclosure of some parts of public records maintained by the Library. Certain types of information maintained by us are exempt from inspection and copying, such as library records; however the following types of records are maintained under our control and may be requested:
- Board meeting schedules*
- Board minutes*
- Board policies*
- Employee names, titles, and dates of employment
- Records of Library ownership of real or personal property
- Annual Reports to the Illinois State Library
- Annual budgets*
- Tax levies
- Audit reports*
- Bills or invoices issued and received by the Library
- Receipts for revenue
- IMRF member compensation
*Asterisked items are available immediately if you click on the links.
The Urbana Free Library's total budgeted revenue for FY 2017 is $3,960,077. Funding sources include property and personal property replacement taxes, state grants, allocations from the City of Urbana and Champaign County, fines and fees, the Library Cafe and other sources. The Library employs approximately 80 employees at any given time, 17 of whom are full-time. A detailed Staff Organizational Chart can be viewed by clicking the link.
A list of the Library Board of Trustees is available by following the link.
The Urbana Free Library was founded in 1874 and has been an important part of the community ever since. The Library provides all public services from its location on 210 West Green Street, Urbana, Illinois 61801. Archival materials are stored in the Tepper Building at 209 West Elm Street, Urbana, Illinois 61801.
We accept requests for records in writing. You do not have to complete a standard form—but for your convenience, we have forms available: online FOIA Request Form; printable FOIA Request Form (PDF) . Submit your written request by mail, fax, or email:
FOIA Officers – Celeste Choate and Becky Brown
The Urbana Free Library
210 West Green Street
Urbana, Illinois 61801
Please keep the following things in mind as you work on your request:
- Be as specific as possible when describing the records you are seeking. Remember, the Freedom of Information Act is designed to allow you to inspect or receive copies of records. It is not designed to require a public body to answer questions. If you want to ask questions of a representative of the The Urbana Free Library, call the Library’s Administrative Office at 217-367-4058 to be directed to the proper person.
- Please tell us whether you would like copies of the requested records, or whether you wish to examine the records in person. You have the right to either option.
- There is no fee for up to 50 pages of black and white, letter or legal sized paper copies. For pages beyond 50, there is a 15¢ per page charge.
- You are permitted to ask for a waiver of copying fees. To do that, include the following statement (or a similar statement) in your written FOIA request: “I request a waiver of all fees associated with this request.” In addition, you must include a specific explanation as to why your request for information is in the public interest—not simply your personal interest—and merits a fee waiver.
- Please include your name, preferred telephone number(s), mailing address, and, if you wish, your email address.