2017 Summer Reading Program for All Ages
May 15 – August 31
Register online or at the Library
This summer, make time to read the books you love and win prizes just for reading! Read books of your choice (including eBooks and audiobooks), and attend fun programs. Get ready for Reading by Design! 2017 Summer Reading Program Information Brochure (Printable PDF)
Children's Summer Reading Program Coloring Log (Printable PDF)
- For children birth through those entering grade 6 – both readers and listeners.
- Each time you read at least 15 minutes, mark your reading log.
- Bring your completed log to the Library to receive a free book plus coupons for local businesses.
- For each additional log you complete, you will receive another free book!
- Parents and caregivers who read to a child registered in the program receive a free book.
- For teens who have completed grades 6 through 12.
- Select books of your choice and keep track of the number of pages read.
- Every time you read 1,000 pages, come to the Library to pick out a free book from our selection of new books.
- Reading also enters you in a weekly raffle to win a complete book series.
- For adults who love to read. Why let kids have all the fun?
- Read books of your choice and record your reading progress.
- After you read 4 books, stop by the Library to select a free book from our selection of popular books.
- Keep reading! For each additional four books you complete, you will receive another free book!
The Summer Reading Program is generously supported by the Friends of The Urbana Free Library.
#1000BooksB4K - Growing Readers One Book at a Time
Welcome to 1,000 Books Before Kindergarten - a year-round reading program for children ages birth to five years. It's the fun, exciting, and free way to start children on the path to success.
One of the most reliable predictors of school success is being read to during early childhood. The Library would like to help support you as you prepare your child for kindergarten. Most importantly, sharing books with children promotes a lifelong love of books and reading.
Just follow these steps to begin:
- Register: Sign up at the Children's Services question desk or online. Pick up program materials at the Library or print them from the website.
- Track Your Reading: Mark your reading record for each book you read with your child.
- Every Book Counts: Even if your child wants to hear the same book again and again, you can count it each time. You can also count the books your child hears at a story time, in day care or preschool, or with a friend or family member. As long as your child listens to the entire book, it counts!
- 100-Book Milestones: Each time you read 100 books, bring your reading record to the Library to receive a special sticker and join our online photo gallery, if you wish. Take home a new reading record for your next 100 books or print one from the Library's website.
- 500 and 1,000 Books: You did it! Come to the Library and receive a free book.
- Keep on Reading: Don’t stop at 1,000! Keep on reading together--there’s more learning ahead!
Singing songs, saying rhymes, telling stories, and playing with your child are all great ways to build their literacy skills. The Library has free programs for children that are fun and educational. It's also a place to find great books to share!
1,000 books may seem like a lot, but if you read just one book a night, you'll meet your goal in less than three years. If you read three books a night, you could reach your goal in just one year! Ask our friendly staff for suggestions--we're here to help you on your journey to 1,000 Books Before Kindergarten!
Book prizes are funded by the Friends of The Urbana Free Library
1 - 100 Reading Log
101 - 200 Reading Log
201 - 300 Reading Log
301 - 400 Reading Log
401 - 500 Reading Log
501 - 600 Reading Log
601 - 700 Reading Log
701 - 800 Reading Log
801 - 900 Reading Log
901 - 1,000 Reading Log