- Department: Circulation Services
- Benefits: No
- Division: Shelving/Cafe
- Time: General minimum of 10 hours per week and maximum of 999 hours per year, as determined by Library needs, including evening and weekend hours.
- Job Type: Non-Civil Service
- FLSA Status: Non-Exempt
- Reports to: Assistant Manager of Circulation Services
- Wage Range: $10.25-$11.28 per hour
The Shelver routinely shelves books and other materials, retrieves items to fill requests, keeps material in proper order, empties the book returns, moves books and furniture, runs errands, and performs other basic tasks related to the library collections. Duties are performed under the supervision of the Assistant Manager of Circulation Services or senior Circulation Clerks.
- Shelves books and other library materials.
- Retrieves items to fill requests.
- Shelf-reads materials to check for correct sequence.
- Straightens materials on shelves.
- Picks up material removed from shelves.
- Dusts shelves.
- Empties book returns.
- Shifts crowded sections of the collection.
- Moves books and furniture.
- Runs errands.
- Also works as a barista in the Library café.
- Performs other related duties as assigned.
- Attends department and other meetings as scheduled.
Education & Experience
- Prior successful working experience desirable.
- Requires passing score on shelving test.
- Basic word processing and spreadsheet software desirable.
- Strong commitment to excellent public service; friendly, energetic, adaptable.
- Takes pride in maintaining a neat and orderly environment.
- Dependability and honesty.
- Physical strength and agility sufficient to push loaded book trucks, to lift and carry up to 40 pounds, to access high and low shelves, and to work on one’s feet for an entire shift.
- Work diligently without close supervision.
- Understand and follow oral and written instructions.
- Learn and follow all relevant library policies.
- Learn how to be a barista in the Library café.
- Complete work with speed and accuracy and handle frequent, sudden task changes effectively.
- Work with staff in a consistently cooperative manner.
- Meet the public in a consistently friendly and courteous manner.
- Enforce Library’s policies.
- Work in a team atmosphere in a consistently cooperative manner.
- Work full range of library hours, including evenings and weekends. Maximum availability desirable.
- Work additional hours beyond those regularly scheduled as necessary and for the Library’s needs.
- Daily contact with patrons and staff.
- Frequent contact with visitors.
Working Environment: The work environment characteristics described herein are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- The work will occur primarily at The Urbana Free Library.
- Occasionally, staff perform outreach at offsite locations.
- Typical work schedule could include any hours that the Library is open in addition to time before and afterwards, with flexibility depending on the needs of the department.
Physical Requirements: The physical demands described herein are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
Physical strength and agility sufficient to push loaded book trucks, to lift and carry up to 40 pounds, to access high and low shelves, and to work on one’s feet for an entire shift.
Vision: See in the normal visual range with or without correction; vision sufficient to read computer screens and printed documents; visually inspect work in progress.
Hearing: Hear in the normal audio range with or without correction.
The work environment characteristics described herein are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
The duties listed above are intended only as illustrations of the various types of work that may be performed. The omission of specific statements of duties does not exclude them from the position if the work is similar, related or a logical assignment to the position.
The job description does not constitute an employment agreement between the employer and employee and is subject to change by the employer as the needs of the employer and requirements of the job change.
The Urbana Free Library is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
last updated 9-14-15