Three convenient ways to return:
- To return bins located by the Library's Information Desk on the first floor when the Library is open to the public.
- To our outside returns in the Green Street parking lot 24/7. Any large or delicate items (vinyl, games, kits, and Library of Things) must be returned inside the building or during Curbside Pickup appointments instead of the outside returns.
- During your scheduled Curbside Pickup appointment.
Anything you place in the parking lot return bins before the library opens will be checked in as if it were returned the previous day.
Students at Urbana Middle School and Urbana High School can return items to bins located at each school. During the school year, we collect items twice a week.
Late Fees (per item)
- Board Games, DVDs, Kits, and Video Games
- 50¢ per day
- eReaders, Mobile Hotspots, and Library of Things
- $1.00 per day
- Electronic Devices (in-house use)
- 50¢ per hour
- Everything else in the Adult and Teen collections + Interlibrary Loans
- 20¢ per day
- Everything else in the Children’s collection
- 10¢ per day
The maximum fine is $20.00 for an eReader, electronic device, or Library of Things item; $5.00 for a paperback book or magazine; or $10.00 for all other items.
We also charge fees for the replacement of long overdue materials, damaged materials, and items returned with missing contents. Please note: Library fees of $100.00 and higher will be referred to a collection agency.
You can pay your library fees with cash, check, or credit/debit card at the Circulation Desk or you can log in to your CU Catalog account and conveniently pay your fees online 24/7.