Vol. 39, No. 12 December 2014
- Let Us Be Your 1st Third Place
- Celebrating 140 Years: From the President of The Urbana Free Library Foundation
- Support the Foundation’s Annual Campaign
- Young Artists’ Exhibition
- Prairie Breezes Presents Desafinado
- UFLive! Presents the New Orleans Jazz Machine
- It is Time for Noon Year’s Eve!
- NoveList Plus & NoveList K-8 Plus: Read-alikes, Reviews, Series Info, and More!
To sign up for e-notification of library events, including the library’s monthly newsletter, CLICK HERE. Enter your first and last name, use the pull down Event Type menu to select your notification preferences, select Save and you’re done!
Let Us Be Your 1st Third Place
In the past year during over 460,350 visits:
- Over 30,300 people attended over 850 library-sponsored programs
- Over 138,000 reference questions were answered
- Staff used their notary stamps over 7,700 times
- Almost 95,000 hours of public computing were logged
- Over 700 people voted in 2014
- Over 1,950 reservations were made for the 2nd floor Study Rooms
Your non-profit group can reserve the Lewis Auditorium or Satterthwaite Conference Room for free events by calling 367-4069. You drop in or reserve the Study Rooms by calling 367-4405. More details about are available at /library/meeting-rooms.
The Urbana Free Library is most alive when it is full of people. Come to your Library and see how you can use the space yourself. Whether it is to:
- Meet friends for a quick cup of hot chocolate at the Library Cafe and Friends Book Shop
- Attend a free concert
- Check out some gorgeous new cookbooks
- Visit the Champaign County Historical Archives during their new Wednesday night evening hours
- Collaborate with other 6th-12th graders at the Teen Open Lab
your Library is here for you.
Celeste Choate, Executive Director
Celebrating 140 Years:
From the President of The Urbana Free Library Foundation
As we celebrate our Library’s 140th anniversary, it is with great pride that we honor the past and look forward to the future in helping to supplement the mission of The Urbana Free Library.
Established in 1997 as a fiscal guiding light in support of the Library, The Urbana Free Library Foundation looks with pride to a few of the significant contributions that we have made over the years. These include the extremely large role the Foundation had in helping secure funds for the Library expansion in 2005, to projects such as our monthly music programs, the purchase of a piano, and our art enhancement program for the Library. You can see how vibrant our role has been, and the impact that the Foundation has had in helping supplement and support projects over and above the normal budgetary operations of the Library.
Support the Foundation’s Annual Campaign
This July The Urbana Free Library celebrated 140 years of service to the Urbana community. Over the year The Library is highlighting its rich history and bright future in the community, showcasing the many different ways it serves the public and the many ways the community has supported it. Last year alone:
- Staff answered over 130,000 reference questions
- Over 773,000 items were checked out by almost 14,000 cardholders
- Almost 28,000 program attendees participated in over 750 programs
- Library computers were used 81,000 times
Young Artists’ Exhibition
December 21 - January 15 • Children’s Services
The annual Young Artist Exhibition highlights artwork by the talented students from Hua Nian Art Studio. We think you will enjoy the celebration of color and creativity in their amazing designs.
The exhibit will be on display in Children’s Services (ground floor), December 21 through January 15.
Prairie Breezes Presents Desafinado
Friday, December 12 • 4:15 - 5:00 p.m.
We dare you to keep your feet still when you travel with Desafinado to Brazil for the sounds of samba, bossa nova, and more.
Prairie Breezes concerts are for children and their families and take place on the second Friday of most months. The series is generously sponsored by Peggy and Bob Podlasek in memory of Greg Bliss.
UFLive! Presents the New Orleans Jazz Machine
Sunday, November 15 • 2:00 - 3:00 p.m.
Busey-Mills Reading Room
Escape the winter blues with the amazing local Dixieland sextet, the New Orleans Jazz Machine, led by Carl Johnson on clarinet. Your spirits will be lifted and your toes will be tapping as you listen to NOJM’s swinging New Orleans-style jazz.
UFLive! concerts offer a diverse lineup of local performers and are scheduled on the third Sunday of most months.
The library would like to thank our Bob and Bonnie Switzer for making this month’s UFLive! possible and for bringing the joy of music to the community
It is Time for Noon Year’s Eve!
Wednesday, December 31 • 11:30 a.m. - 12:15 p.m.
Are you afraid you will not last until midnight to welcome the New Year? Come celebrate with us! We will count down to noon, ringing in the New Year with stories, food, and fun. Happy Noon Year!
For children and their families.
Read-alikes, Reviews, Series Info, and More!