The Champaign County Historical Archives has a diverse array of resources to aid in research on local history and genealogy. They range from databases that provide access to genealogical resources worldwide to unique collections that document local life from the 1830s to the present day. The majority of these materials are discoverable in our Local History Online Catalog.
Books & Journals
Over 25,000 books and journals are available and searchable through the Local History Online Catalog. These include an extensive collection of books on Champaign County, other Illinois counties, and states that served as migration routes to Champaign County. We also collect family genealogies and subscribe to over 100 genealogical and local history journals.
- Champaign County Records
- City of Urbana Municipal Records
- Microfilmed and indexed local government records spanning the years 1855 to 2001.
An extensive collection of directories for Champaign County, including city directories; phone books; and Criss-Cross directories.
Local Organization Newsletter Collection
A growing collection of over 700 newsletters distributed by local community organizations, including schools, churches, and a variety of non-profit organizations.
Over 500 historical and current local maps, plat books, and atlases are available for research. The University of Illinois' digital collection of Sanborn Fire Insurance Maps includes maps of Illinois towns, including ones located in Champaign County.
A comprehensive collection of titles from Champaign County, spanning the years 1852 to the present. Most are available on microfilm. A complete list of newspapers and date ranges available at the Archives is available [PDF file].
For electronic access to historical newspapers visit our Databases & Research Tools page.
Over 250 oral histories with topics that cover the history of Champaign County and its communities. Richly represented within the collection is Champaign County rural life and the experience of the African-American community. Many recordings and their corresponding transcripts (when available) have been digitized and made available online.
Over one million photographs of local people and locations, dating from the mid-19th century to the present. Selected images have been digitized and made available online through our Local History Online Catalog and our digital collections.
- News-Gazette Collection (1974-2002)
- McCandless Photography Studio Collection (1965-2001)
- Pilon Studio Collection
- Postcard collections with images documenting Champaign County and the University of Illinois
Nearly complete sets of Champaign County high school yearbooks, and incomplete sets from area middle and elementary schools.
- Local History Collections, over 300 records of local organizations, businesses, and families pertaining to Champaign County history and genealogy.
- Chanute Collection acquired from the Chanute Air Museum in Rantoul, including maps, blueprints, photographs, subject files, scrapbooks, and donations from Chanute personnel.
- News-Gazette Archives Collection consists of nearly half a million newspaper clippings; administrative records; photographs and photo negatives; and the Marajen Stevick Chinigo papers.
Please allow 48 hours for retrieval of special collection materials, including Chanute and News-Gazette holdings.