The Archives Volunteer performs indexing tasks, counts inventory, and maintains order in the Champaign County Historical Archives.
• Entering data into computers from local publications
• Organizing new collections in preparation for cataloging
• Helping to maintain order, accessibility, and appearance of the Archives collection
• One semester minimum
• 10-20 hours per month
• Strong background in historical collections and/or interest in genealogy
• Tolerant of repetitive tasks such as data entry
• Willingness to work at a computer screen for 1-2 hours
• Ability to work in close quarters to others
• Ability to work in sometimes loud or distracting environments if the department is busy
• Must love working with old and (sometimes) dusty materials
Training and Support
• Orientation and training will be provided.
Benefits of Volunteering as an Archives Volunteer
• You will be learning about local history, local families, and the professionals who serve them.