Download free movies, TV episodes, music albums, audiobooks, eBooks, and comics/graphic novels to your own device using two different services-- Digital Library of Illinois (using the Libby or the Overdrive app) and Hoopla. You’ll never get a late fee and you can do it from home (or anywhere you have an Internet connection).
If you would like help getting set up to download eBooks or audiobooks, our staff would be glad to meet with you. Contact 217-367-4057 to set up an appointment.
- Digital Library of Illinois offers thousands of eBooks and audiobooks for all ages that can be downloaded to your computer, eReader, tablet, smart phone, mp3 player or other device. (This collection used to be known as MyMediaMall.)
- There are many ways to access this collection. Most users will want to download the easy-to-use Libby app. (The older Overdrive app still works and is used on some devices.)
- You can also browse the collection through the Digital Library Illinois website or through the CU Catalog.
- All Overdrive titles and their due dates will appear in your online library account alongside your other library items.
Downloading eBooks & Audiobooks from The Digital Library of Illinois (Libby and Overdrive apps)
Patrons of The Urbana Free Library can choose from a collection of thousands of free audiobooks and eBooks from Digital Library of Illinois. The Libby app – which has many convenient features – is now available to use when accessing this collection.
- No late fees
- Available 24/7
- Download books and audiobooks for offline reading, or stream them to save space.
- If you prefer reading on your Kindle, the Libby app can send your library books to it.
- Positions, bookmarks and notes are kept in sync across devices.
- Patrons may continue to use the older Overdrive app for now.
- Most users should download the new Libby app from their device’s app store (recommended for users on Android, iOS, or Windows 10 devices). The original OverDrive app is still available and supported but for most devices the Libby app is an easier, more convenient choice.
- The collection can also be viewed by going to the Digital Library of Illinois website (for any user on a Windows or Mac computer).
Log in to browse the collection
- In the app or on the website, select The Urbana Free Library by scrolling through the list of libraries, or by entering the zip code or city and state.
- Enter the 13-digit Urbana Free Library card number and PIN number (usually the last four digits of your phone number).
- Browse for downloadable eBooks or Audiobooks. Then choose the “borrow” option or place holds on titles. Patrons of The Urbana Free Library can check out up to 10 titles at a time.
- Enjoy eBooks and audiobooks immediately online, download them for offline use, or send borrowed eBooks to a Kindle device for the duration of the lending period.
- Borrowed titles can also be transferred from a computer to compatible eReaders or mp3 players.
Both the app and the website for Overdrive / Digital Library of Illinois have “help” sections and tips for users. Staff can also answer questions and help patrons get started with their device. Simply visit one of the service desks or call 217-367-4405. Library staff are here to help!
A quick note: As of July 1, 2019 MyMediaMall has been renamed Digital Library of Illinois.
- Hoopla offers nearly half a million titles, in six different formats: movies, TV show episodes, music albums, audiobooks, eBooks, and comics/graphic novels. All formats can be accessed in one location, from your computer, tablet, smartphone, or TV.
- Titles are always available – No hold lists!
- Video lends for 3 days. Music lends for 7 days. eBooks, audiobooks, and comics/graphic novels lend for 21 days.
- Patrons of The Urbana Free Library can check out up to 10 items each month.
- Search all titles through the app or your computer. You will not see them listed in your online Library account.
Library card required. You must register for an RBdigital account on the website before you can log in to the RBdigital app on your mobile device.
Borrowing Info for eAudiobooks
- Children’s and Teen titles are always available.
- Adult titles are can only be checked out by one person at a time. Place a hold to get in line for an item checked out to an other cardholder.
- Checkout for 21 days.
- Renew titles 2 times. Checkout period for renewals is 7 days.
- Checkout limit of 10 items at a time.
- Hold limit of 10 items at a time.
- No overdue charges for items borrowed. Items are returned automatically at the end of the checkout period.
Borrowing Info for RBDigital Magazines
- You can check out as many magazines as you want — there is no limit. All checked-out magazines are displayed in the My Collection link within your library collection. The My Collection link displays after you are logged in.
- There is no time limit. Once you check out a magazine, it will remain in your personal My Collection until you delete it.
- For more information about RBDigital Magazines, check out this FAQ page.
Register for an RBdigital account
- From a web browser, go to the Library's custom RBDigital website.
- On the RBdigital site, click Register in the upper right corner.
- Fill out the registration form. If you are registering in the Library building, you do not need an Urbana Free Library card. To register at home, you must be an Urbana Free Library cardholder.
Get the RBdigtial app
You must register for an RBdigital account on the website before you can log in to the RBdigital app on your mobile device.
- Download the RBdigital app for iOS, Android, or Kindle Fire.
- Open the app.
- Follow the on screen prompts to sign in.
All RBDigital magazines and audiobooks will soon be transferring over to the Libby app. We'll announce the date once we know when that will be happening!
- Kanopy offers more than 30,000 of the world’s best films, including award-winning documentaries, rare and hard-to-find titles, film festival favorites, indie and classic films, world cinema, and a wide array of foreign language films and films on social issues and current affairs.
- Kanopy Kids offers educational and entertainment videos for children of all ages.
- Titles are always available – No hold lists!
- You must have an internet connection to stream Kanopy films. Downloading is not available at this time.
- The loan period is 72 hours (3 days). Cardholders may stream 10 Kanopy titles per month.
- Films can be streamed from any computer, television, mobile device or platform by downloading the Kanopy app for iOS, Android, AppleTV, Chromecast or Roku, or by visiting www.kanopy.com to sign up.
- Search all titles through the app or your computer. You will not see them in the Library catalog or in your online Library account.
The Library also offers Hoopla movies / television programs. How do the two services differ?
- Hoopla offers more popular entertainment and allows downloading of programs for viewing offline. (Hoopla also offers music, eBooks and downloadable audiobooks.)
- Kanopy features more documentaries and educational content, as well as more independent and classic films.
- Kanopy always requires an internet connection to stream content (no downloading at this time).
- Urbana cardholders may check out 10 Kanopy titles each month and 10 items from Hoopla each month.
- TumbleBookLibrary is a curated database of over 1,100 titles of e-books for grades K-6.
- This collection includes our unique animated, talking picture books; read-along chapter books; graphic novels; National Geographic videos; non-fiction books; playlists; as well as books in Spanish and French.
- There are no check-out times or wait lists: the books are always available!
- It’s a great resource for tech-savvy kids, and teaches them the joy of reading in a format they’ll love.
- Users can download the TumbleBooks app from their device’s app store (recommended for users on Android, iOS, or Windows 10 devices).
- The collection can also be viewed by going to the TumbleBooks website (for any user on a Windows or Mac computer).
You can call the Library for help at 217-367-4405 or stop by the reference desk to find out more or get help downloading the apps.
Other Sources for Free eBooks and Audiobooks
BiblioBoard Library of Illinois provides hundreds of digital Anthologies featuring books, images, articles, documents, audio, and video from around the world and across time, curated by subject and accessible from anywhere. The service provides local content in an unlimited, simultaneous use environment.
Project Gutenberg offers over 45,000 free eBooks. Choose among free epub books, free Kindle books and download them or read them online.
Internet Archives Digital Book Collections offer over 6,000,000 fully accessible public domain eBooks
Libravox offers free public domain audio books read by volunteers from around the world.
7 / 19