Mayor Prussing has proclaimed that September is Library Card Sign-Up Month in the City of Urbana. If you don't have a Library card, sign up for one! If you have a Library card, help spread the word about the many benefits of having a Library card!
Throughout the month of September, the Library will be out and about in the community and will present programs and events to raise awareness of the helpful and unique resources that are available at The Urbana Free Library:
- On September 2, The Library is teaming up with Habitat for Humanity to create "Everybody's Living Room" at The Urbana Free Pop-up Library. It's a cozy outdoor spot in downtown Urbana where you might find lots of great Library stuff.
- Celebrate the diversity of cultures that make up our community at the Third Annual Immigrant Welcome Awards Ceremony on September 24.
- Members of the UBA and the community are invited to find out how Libraries are helping to transform lives at the Urbana Business Association Business & Breakfast on September 27. Find out what helpful resources are available for businesses and their customers.
- What's a celebration without music? On September 3, enjoy the African Rhythyms of Jean René Balekita and Bomoyi and Klezmer music with the talented Shlomo's Schleppers on September 18. Last but not least, there will be an opportunity to hear the dynamic Afro-Cuban drummers of Sonic Liberation 8 on September 24
- Library staff will hit the road to register members of the Urbana community for a Library card. You will see us at our regular outreach locations, such as our monthly visit with the residents of Clark-Lindsey Village on September 1 and Read at the Market on September 24. But you also will find the Library at the Urbana Lunchtime Food Truck Rally on August 30 and September 27. We're working on a list and will add those to the Library's e-calendar as they are confirmed.
- Have you seen the Teen Open Lab Bee & Butterfly Garden? The garden has been designated a Monarch Waystation and already is attracting bees and butterflies. In early August, the Urbana Park District Construction Camp built a Little Free Library, which is slated to be installed at the Bee & Butterfly Garden. Join us on September 22 at 4:00 PM to celebrate the grand opening and thank everyone who supported this project.