The Library's music collection is notable for both its breadth and depth. From the latest chart-topper to historic recordings of Paraguayan flute music, we’ve got it covered. Baroque to avant-garde, opera to rap, ragtime to modern jazz, classic to forgotten; a musical extravaganza awaits! In addition the Library now provides free music streaming / downloading of thousands of albums in all genres with Hoopla.
CD Collection Highlights
Bach, Vivaldi, Corelli, and more.
- Chicago Blues
Urban blues from the Windy City.
- Daptone Records
Soul music from around the world.
- Eccentric Soul
Numero Group series of 60s and 70s soul. Each CD features a specific label from this era.
An especially deep and broad collection of music from around the globe.
- Mojo presents
A monthly sampler of deep cuts from the past and today.
- Music in Our Community
Music stores, record shops, festivals, live music venues. Also, check out the library's extensive collection of local music.
- The Roots of American Music
Early American music traditions from blues to zydeco.
- Rough Guide Series
From African groove to psychedelic salsa, a great starting point for exploring different music from all over the world.
Hoopla offers full music albums, many available on release date! With no waiting, music can be streamed immediately, or downloaded to phones or tablets for offline enjoyment later. Music lends for 7 days. (5 checkouts per month) See the collection here or learn more about how to get started with the service at this link.
Watch and Read
- Allmusic - Comprehensive music information including recommendations, reviews, and biographies.
- BBC 6 Music - Listen to streaming music live from the UK.
- Little Records- Alternative music with a local flavor.
- National Jukebox - Historical recordings from the Library of Congress.
- WFMU - Alternative Music.
- WWOZ radio - Listen to streaming music live from New Orleans.