Create at The Urbana Free Library! Join our two newest partners as we explore ways to make cool stuff- using both old and new technology.
Makerspace Urbana is an open community lab where people of diverse backgrounds can learn, teach, tinker, collaborate, share, innovate, socialize, and create. Join the Makerspace Mentors @ The Urbana Free Library and create cool stuff!
As part of the TUFL Tech series, Makerspace volunteers will be conducting the following workshops in the Lewis Auditorium. These are open to the public, both teen and adult alike. We hope to see you there!
- Thursday, February 7th: In this workshop, teens and adults are invited to join volunteers from the Champaign-Urbana Makerspace who will teach you how to solder by making a blinky robot badge. No experience necessary!
- Thursday, February 21st: The Library Tech series continues with a workshop that teaches you how to build a simple synthesizer. Teens and adults invited to participate. No experience or materials needed, just show up at 4!
- Thursday, February 28th: We pick up from last week and finish our Atari synthesizer project. Not here last week? Don't worry - drop in anyway!
- Thursday, March 7th: Learn how to make a didgieridoo with the Makerspace volunteers!
- Thursday, March 14th: Audio circuit bending!
The Champaign-Urbana Community Fab Lab is a small-scale workshop for computer-based innovation, design and fabrication. The Fab Lab allows you to dream up, design and make almost anything you can imagine using open source software and DIY equipment. The Urbana Free Library is proud to announce our partnering with the Fab Lab to bring you programming and open lab times that allow you to take advantage of what the FabLab has to offer:
- Splash! Urbana Middle School events (held Wednesdays 1/16-2/27). The Splash program is a partnership between the Urbana Middle School and The Urbana Park district. As part of the TUFL TECH series, Wednesdays through February 27th teens are invited to join us in the Lewis Auditorium at 4pm. We have musical instruments, books, games, drawing and the FabLab 3D printer, Silhouette vinyl cutter, and Media production software. FabLab volunteers will be available to help with all of the equipment, and the libraries community ambassador, Karen Barton, will help teens use media software to make movie posters, movies, videos and more. This is a teen only event.
- Open lab times: The Library is looking at ways to make this technology available to all patrons in the future. We also will have computers that allow patrons to build their own files to use with this equipment. This is a work in progress, so let us know what you would like to see! Contact Joel at email@example.com for more info.
For more information on dates and times see The Urbana Free Library event calendar