Looking for ways to gain work experience? Need help writing your resume and cover letter? The Urbana Free Library offers a great selection of books to suit all your job-hunting needs. Be sure to also check out these helpful links.
Want to gain experience, but not looking for a job? Consider volunteering!
- Become a mentor with Big Brothers Big Sisters.
- Be a general Special Olympics volunteer, or become a coach (if you're at least 14 years old).
- CUVolunteer.org Find volunteering activities in the Champaign-Urbana area.
- Idealist.Org Interested in getting involved in something bigger than yourself? This website has info on volunteer opportunities and internships for all kinds of organizations. You can even get ideas on how to start your own group.
- VolunteerMatch - Where Volunteering Begins Enter your zip code to find current volunteering opportunities in your area.
- Whether you're looking to get involved in something big or small, Do Something!
Looking for general information about jobs and careers?
- Exploring Career Information from the Bureau of Labor Statistics. Find careers that fit your interests.
- Guide to the Business of Babysitting Helpful website filled with information about becoming a great babysitter. Available in English and Spanish.
- Job Corps A free vocational training program for people ages 16 - 24 who qualify as low income.
- Occupational Outlook Handbook - U.S. Bureau of Labor Statistics. Hundreds of career profiles provide job descriptions, salaries, experience requirements, and more.
Find Jobs in Urbana-Champaign
*Check with an adult first before you enter any personal information. Look for "https://" to make sure the website is secure. Remember, don't give out any personal information unless you trust the website.
- Craigslist The online classifieds community that includes local job listings.
- Indeed.com Search the major job-posting sites like USAJobs.gov and smaller job boards. Click on Advanced Job Search and select the type of jobs you are seeking.
- News-Gazette Create a profile, post your resume, and view job matches based on your skills and preferences.