Friends of The Urbana Free Library
We invite you to join the Friends to participate in Friend’s activities or just to support your library—a well-loved community information center.
Membership in the Friends is a bargain! With your annual membership of only $10.00 you will receive early admission to all book sales on "Members Night." Most important, you'll gain the satisfaction of supporting a successful local 501 (c)(3) organization.
The Friends meet at the library at noon on the first Wednesday of most months and welcome members at its planning meetings. Check the library e-calendar for specific dates.
Join the Friends Online or Print a PDF Brochure
- Support the library through the purchase of those "extra touches" that fall outside the library's budget. In fiscal year 2016, $10,000 has been spent on books for adults and teens, and $6,000 on books for children.
- Organize and annually raise over $25,000 through their spring, summer, and fall used book sales and the sale of gently used books at the Cafe & Friends Book Shop.
- Underwrite the annual adult, teen and children's summer and winter children's reading programs.
- Underwrite the new 1,000 Books Before Kindergarten reading program.
- Develop and maintain the signature flower boxes and landscaping around the library.
- Purchase tools to support volunteers who maintain the landscaping.
- Sponsor the Herbert Goldhor Award, given each year to an outstanding graduate of the University of Illinois Graduate School of Library and Information Science who is specializing in public libraries.
The Friends holds massive sales of great used books three times per year: March, August, and November. The next sale begins Thursday, August 26, 2016! (PDF) For specific dates of future book sales, check the library e-calendar.
Book sales run for five days:
- Thursday night - regular price sale for Members
- Friday and Saturday - regular price sale
- Sunday - half-price sale
- Monday - free giveaway of leftover books
Are you ready to re-purpose some of your books? If you're considering donating your gently used books, here are some helpful guidelines.