Friends of The Urbana Free Library
We invite you to join the Friends to participate in Friend’s activities or just to support your library—a well-loved community information center.
Membership in the Friends is a bargain! With your annual membership of only $10.00 you will receive early admission to all book sales on "Members Night." Most important, you'll gain the satisfaction of supporting a successful organization.
The Friends meet at the library at noon on the first Wednesday of most months and welcome members at its planning meetings. Check the library e-calendar for specific dates.
Join the Friends Online or Print a PDF Brochure
- Support the library through the purchase of those "extra touches" that fall outside the library's budget.
- Organize and annually raise over $25,000 through their spring, summer, and fall used book sales and the sale of gently used books at the Cafe & Friends Book Shop.
- Underwrite the annual teen and children's summer reading programs.
- Develop and maintain the signature flower boxes and landscaping around the library.
- Sponsor the Herbert Goldhor Award, given each year to an outstanding graduate of the University of Illinois Graduate School of Library and Information Science who is specializing in public libraries.
The Friends holds massive sales of great used books three times per year: March, August, and November. For specific dates of future book sales, check the library e-calendar.
Book sales run for five days:
- Thursday night - regular price sale for Members
- Friday and Saturday - regular price sale
- Sunday - half-price sale
- Monday - free giveaway of leftover books
Are you ready to re-purpose some of your books? If you're considering donating your gently used books, here are some helpful guidelines.