Friends of The Urbana Free Library
We invite you to join the Friends to participate in Friend’s activities or just to support your library—a well-loved community information center.
Membership in the Friends is a bargain! With your annual membership of only $10.00 you will receive early admission to all book sales on "Members Night." Most important, you'll gain the satisfaction of supporting a successful local 501 (c)(3) organization.
The Friends meet at the library at noon on the first Wednesday of most months and welcome members at its planning meetings. Check the library e-calendar for specific dates.
Join the Friends Online or Print a PDF Brochure
- Support the Library through the purchase of those "extra touches" that fall outside the library's budget. In fiscal year 2016, $10,000 has been spent on books for adults and teens, and $6,000 on books for children.
- Organize and annually raise over $25,000 through their spring, summer, and fall used book sales and the sale of gently used books at the Cafe & Friends Book Shop.
- Underwrite the annual adult, teen and children's summer and winter reading programs.
- Underwrite the Library's 1,000 Books Before Kindergarten reading program.
- Develop and maintain the signature flower boxes and landscaping around the Library.
- Purchase tools to support volunteers who maintain the landscaping.
- Sponsor the Herbert Goldhor Award, given each year to an outstanding graduate of the University of Illinois School of Information Sciences who is specializing in public libraries.
- Donated the proceeds from their 2016 Spring Book Sale to support the cost of moving the Chanute collection to the Champaign County Historical Archives.
- Supports The Little Free Library: Take a Book, Leave a Book.
- Using funds raised through the Friends book sales, the library was able to use $10,000 to purchase a starter collection for cloudLibrary™ by bibliotheca. (Formerly called the 3M Cloud Library.)
The Friends holds massive sales of great used books three times per year: March, August, and November. The next sale begins Thursday, November 17, 2016! (PDF) For specific dates of future book sales, check the library e-calendar.
Book sales run for five days:
- Thursday night - regular price sale for Members
- Friday and Saturday - regular price sale
- Sunday - half-price sale
- Monday - free giveaway of leftover books
Are you ready to re-purpose some of your books? If you're considering donating your gently used books, here are some helpful guidelines.