Tax Forms & Info
Please note: Due to changes at the IRS, The Urbana Free Library will be unable to supply the usual variety of tax forms to our patrons for tax year 2014. We will have the commonly used forms available beginning at the end of January, but we will not be able to provide copies of any instruction booklets. You can obtain your own forms and instructions from the IRS by choosing one of the the follow options:
- IRS.gov/Forms - to view and download
- IRS.gov/orderforms - to order tax products to be delivered by mail
- 1-800-829-3676 - to order tax products to be delivered by mail
We will have the following available for the current tax filing season:
- Free copies of commonly used Illinois and federal (IRS) income tax forms
- Reproducible copies of most federal publications
- Reproducible copies of past federal and state forms from the last three years
- If we do not have a form or publication, we can find it online for you
Other resources available include photocopiers, a fax machine, and a coffee shop. The downtown branch of the Urbana Post Office is conveniently located one block east of the library, adjacent to Lincoln Square Village.
Local Tax Assistance and Counseling
The AARP Tax-Aide service is offered yearly February through April. This free service can answer most of the tax issues faced by middle- and low-income taxpayers, 60 and older. Volunteers are trained by the IRS, through a Tax Counseling for the Elderly (TCE) grant. Location and hours are typically announced by early February. This year the Tax-Aide service is being offered at Stevick Senior Center (located at 48 E. Main Street in downtown Champaign), walk-in or by appointment. Please call 217-359-6500 for appointments or for available hours.
Non-native speakers of English and ESL students can find translation help here.
302 South Birch St, Urbana
Walk-in service only.
310 West Church Street, Champaign
You may ask questions to help you prepare your tax return, or ask about a notice you have received.
Individuals: Toll-free, 1-800-829-1040
People with hearing impairments: Toll-free, 1-800-829-4059 (TDD)
Businesses: Toll-free, 1-800-829-4933
The local IDR office closed in 2002, but phone help is available.
Individuals: Toll-free 1-800-732-8866 or 1-217-782-3336
People with hearing impairments: 1-800-544-5304 (TDD)
Business Hot Line: 1-217-524-4772
You may also consult the IDR's Taxpayer Answer Center.
Tax Resources Online
- ABANetwork: Filing Your Return with a Tax Preparer
- Advice for Choosing a Tax Return Preparer
- e-file Providers for Taxpayers
- Federation of Tax Administrators: State Tax Forms
- Free File: If your adjusted gross income was $60,000 or less you can use Free File to file federal taxes online.
- Illinois Department of Revenue (IDR): Consult this site for Illinois tax info or to file your IL-1040 online.
- Internal Revenue Service (IRS)
- Tax Information for Non-English speakers