The Library offers an auditorium, a conference room, and two small study rooms, which are intended primarily for Library use, including programs, meetings, and other activities. When these rooms are not in use by the Library or the City, they may be used without charge, subject to the restrictions listed in the Library's Public Use of Meeting Rooms Policy.
- Use of the auditorium and conference room is restricted to non-profit, public events held by non-profit groups. They may not be used for private meetings or parties.
- Study rooms may be used for private meetings, such as tutoring or studying, both by individuals and small groups.
- Except for Library co-sponsored programs, groups may not charge admission, take up donations or collections, or buy or sell.
- All events held in the auditorium and the conference room by community groups must be open freely to the general public.
- Reflecting its commitment to freedom of speech, the Library does not limit the use of the meeting rooms by community groups on the basis of their legal expression of ideas.
Reserving the Auditorium or Conference Room
- Advance reservations are essential and can be made in person at the Children's Services desk on the ground floor or by calling 217-367-4069.
- Users must sign a meeting room agreement before using the auditorium or the conference room.
- Non-recurring reservations for the auditorium or conference room can be made up to six weeks in advance.
- Regularly scheduled groups may reserve the auditorium or conference room for up to one meeting per month and may do so for up to 12 months in advance. The Library will attempt to give groups with regularly scheduled meetings the same night of the month from year to year.
- The Library reserves the right to move groups in the auditorium or conference room with extremely small attendance to less popular times or to a smaller meeting room, or to ask them to find alternative meeting sites.
- Although it rarely occurs, the Library reserves the right to cancel prior reservations when the meeting rooms are needed for Library or City purposes.
The following items are available for use in the Lewis Auditorium: 80 chairs, 38 tables (30 tables are 6 feet long; 8 tables are 5 feet long), a lectern, a projection screen, an audio-visual cart with an extension cord, a ceiling-mounted projector, and a small grand piano.
The following items are available for use in the Satterthwaite Conference Room: 14 chairs, 4 tables (30" x 60").
Reserving the Study Rooms
- Reservations can be made one week in advance.
- On the spot reservations are possible if a study room is not in use.
- Rooms are available in two-hour blocks.
- Beverages in spill-proof containers are permitted; no food please.
- Laptops and sound equipment may be used if sounds are not audible outside the room.
- Please protect your personal belongings; the library is not responsible for lost or stolen items.
The following items are available for your use in the Study Rooms: 5 chairs, one table, and a white board.