The library provides groups free use of the auditorium and the conference room when they are not needed for library purposes. Two study rooms are also available for very small groups.
The auditorium and conference room on the ground floor are available for free events sponsored by non-profit groups. Groups may not charge admission, take up collections or donations, or buy, sell, hold private meetings are parties. Any person from the general public must be welcome at any event and non-members may not be excluded from club functions.
The study rooms are on the second floor and provide space for group study, tutoring, meetings of small groups, and similiar purposes.
Reserving the Lewis Auditorium or the Satterthwaite Conference Room
- The auditorium may be used whenever the library is open, but the conference room is only available on evenings and weekends when the library is open.
- Advance reservations are essential and can be made in person at the Children's Services desk on the ground floor or by calling 217-367-4069. Your reservation is not confirmed and entered in the meeting room schedule until a Meeting Room Contract has been completed, signed, and returned to the library by a member of your group (you may also FAX your contract to 217-531-7077).
- Groups meeting regularly may make reservations for up to one year in advance. The library reviews annual bookings each summer and attempts to give groups with regularly scheduled meetings the same night of the month from year to year. Long-term use of either room by individual groups is limited to once a month. More frequent use for a short-term can sometimes be arranged for daytime meetings.
- Due to heavy demand, the library monitors the use of meeting rooms. Groups that make reservations but fail to show up, cancel the day of the reservation, have extremely small attendance, or do not follow library policies, may be denied use of our meeting rooms.
- The library makes every possible effort to honor long-term reservations, but it is impossible to plan library programs a full year in advance. Although it rarely occurs, the library reserves the right to cancel prior reservations when meeting rooms are needed for library or city purposes.
The following items are available for your use in the Lewis Auditorium: 80 chairs, 38 tables (30 tables are 6 feet long; 8 tables are 5 feet long), a lecturn, a projection screen, an audio-vidual cart with an extension cord, and a small grand piano. The library is unable to provide audio-visual equipment or a public address system. You may bring your own equipment, but library staff are unable to assist you with your equipment.
The following items are availabe for use in the Satterthwaite Conference Room: 14 chairs, 4 tables (30" x 60").
Reserving the Study Rooms
- Advance reservations are suggested but not required. Reservations can be made in person at the Adult Services desk on the second floor or by calling 217-367-4405.
- Study rooms may be booked for up to two hours at a time and may be made one week in advance. If a group scheduled to use the room does not show up within 15 minutes of the reserved start time, the room may be given to others who request it.
- Established clubs or non-profits organizations that want to schedule planned meetings on a regular basis should check with Children's Services on the ground floor to reserve the Auditorium or the conference room.
The following items are available for your use in the Study Rooms: 6 chairs, 1 table.