The Archives collections are open to the public for research without an appointment. Archives staff can answer questions, refer you to appropriate materials, or help you plan a research visit. For in-depth research, request our list of local researchers who specialize in genealogy and local history.
A member of the Champaign County Genealogical Society is available from 7:00 p.m. to 8:30 p.m. on the second Wednesday of the month to provide additional assistance to any researcher.
If you are unable to visit in person, please consult our Local History Online catalog. This site allows a comprehensive search of the holdings of the Champaign County Historical Archives, helpful hints, contact information, and instructions for ordering copies of records housed in the Archives. See our How to Order Copies page for instructions on how to submit a request and associated costs. Archives staff can also offer a list of local researchers (fees vary) who specialize in genealogical and local history research if you are in need of extensive research assistance. Please contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org or 217-367-4025 if you have any questions.
Since the Archives collection is not comprehensive, the time may come when you need to look at material located elsewhere. In some cases, books, censuses, newspapers and other microfilms or photocopies may be obtained through interlibrary loan. There is a fee per interlibrary loan request, which helps pay a portion of the amount that lending libraries charge the Archives (fees may vary). Interlibrary loan requests within the state of Illinois are free of charge. Interlibrary loan request forms are located at the Archives reference desk.
FamilySearch Affiliate Library Services
The Champaign County Historical Archives is a FamilySearch affiliate library of the FamilySearch’s Research and Library System. This designation means library patrons have convenient access to billions of birth, marriage, death, census, land, and court records from over 130 countries. These microfilmed records are ordered for loan directly from the FamilySearch archives in Salt Lake City, UT. FamilySearch does charge a fee to order microfilm. Contact us at 217-367-4025 for current prices.
- To request microfilm, create an account at familysearch.org and sign in.
- Search the FamilySearch library catalog for available film and add items to your cart.
- Pay for the requested items using a credit card, debit card or PayPal account. (The first time you order, you’ll be prompted to select your default family history center—select Champaign County Historical Archives.)
- You will be contacted when the film has arrived at CCHA.
- Once the film arrives, you can use the microfilm readers (which can print or save to your portable drive) at the CCHA for viewing.
- The Archives staff can also help you see what films are available, place film orders, and answer research questions, contact us at 217-367-4025.
Photocopying and Scanning
Nearly all material in the Archives can be photocopied or scanned except those materials that are subject to copyright restrictions or are too fragile to copy. A copy machine containing acid-free paper is located in the Archives reading room. Also available are machines for copying (print/scan) microfilm and microfiche, as well as flatbed scanners for printing/scanning. There is no charge for scanning images on-site. For self-service copying, copies are 10¢ each for black & white, 50¢ for color; the machine will accept up to $5.00 bills.