The library provides groups free use of the auditorium and the conference room when they are not needed for library purposes. Two study rooms are also available for very small groups.
The auditorium and conference room on the ground floor are available for free events sponsored by non-profit groups. Groups may not charge admission, take up collections or donations, or buy, sell, hold private meetings or parties. Any person from the general public must be welcome at any event and non-members may not be excluded from club functions.
The study rooms are on the second floor and are provided for individual quiet study and meetings for small groups.
Reserving the Lewis Auditorium or the Satterthwaite Conference Room
- The auditorium may be used whenever the library is open, but the conference room is only available on evenings and weekends when the library is open.
- Advance reservations are essential and can be made in person at the Children's Services desk on the ground floor or by calling 217-367-4069. Your reservation is not confirmed and entered in the meeting room schedule until a Meeting Room Contract has been completed, signed, and returned to the library by a member of your group (you may also FAX your contract to 217-531-7077).
- Groups meeting regularly may make reservations for up to one year in advance. Long-term use of either room by individual groups is limited to once a month. More frequent use for a short-term can sometimes be arranged for daytime meetings.
- Groups that make reservations but fail to show up, cancel the day of the reservation, have extremely small attendance, or do not follow library policies, may be denied use of our meeting rooms.
- The library makes every possible effort to honor long-term reservations. Although it rarely occurs, the library reserves the right to cancel prior reservations when meeting rooms are needed for library or city purposes.
The following items are available for your use in the Lewis Auditorium: 80 chairs, 38 tables (30 tables are 6 feet long; 8 tables are 5 feet long), a lecturn, a projection screen, an audio-vidual cart with an extension cord, and a small grand piano. The library is unable to provide audio-visual equipment or a public address system. You may bring your own equipment, but library staff are unable to assist you with your equipment.
The following items are availabe for use in the Satterthwaite Conference Room: 14 chairs, 4 tables (30" x 60").
Reserving the Study Rooms
- Reservations can be made one week in advance.
- On the spot reservations are possible if a study room is not in use.
- Use of the study rooms is free.
- Rooms are available in two-hour blocks.
- Beverages in spill-proof containers are permitted; no food please.
- Laptops and sound equipment may be used if sounds are not audible outside the room.
- Please protect your personal belongings; the library is not responsible for lost or stolen items.
The following items are available for your use in the Study Rooms: 5 chairs, one table, and a white board.