You can access your library account 24 hours a day via CU Catalog. Just enter the barcode number printed on your library card and your password (usually the last four digits of your phone number), or you can create a username for easier login.
Once you are logged into your account, you can:
- See due dates for all items.
- View fees.
- Request renewal of items.
- Place new hold requests.
- Suspend hold requests until a later date of your choice.
- View the status of current hold requests.
- Update your password, telephone number, or email address.
- Change your notice preferrences. We suggest email or text for fastest notification.
- Create or update a username.
- Save and manage reading lists.
- Maintain your reading history.
- Save favorite searches and have new results emailed to you.
Having problems accessing your library account? Here are some suggestions:
- Make sure you have the minimal level of cookies enabled.
- If you are using stored passwords on your computer, try retyping your password manually.
- On the login page, press CTRL+F5 to refresh and try again.
If you still are unable to access your account after trying all of the above suggestions, please call Circulation Services at 217-367-4057.
You can receive notification by email, phone, or text when hold requests arrive or when items are overdue. (Your carrier's charges will apply if you choose to receive text message notification.) You can change your method of notification through your online account, in person at Circulation Services on the main floor of the library, or by calling 217-367-4057. Email and text notifications to children below grade six must go to a parent or guardian.
Having problems receiving email notices for hold requests and overdue reminders? Here are a few tips:
- Check your Spam folder. If necessary, add firstname.lastname@example.org to your address book to ensure your email provider recognizes it as a legitimate address.
- Check your library account online or ask Circulation Services to make sure we have your current email address.
Failure to receive a courtesy or overdue notice does not constitute cause for removal or reduction of fees. To make certain your materials are returned on time and to avoid late fees, please check the due dates in your online account or ask for a receipt.
Need a little bit more time with an item? The library offers you up to three renewals for each item, and several different ways to request renewal:
- Online through My Account – 24 hours a day.
- By calling 217-367-4057 during regular library hours.
- From the Account option on one of our self-check kiosks.
Why Won't My Items Renew?
- Another user has requested the item.
- All three renewals already have been used.
- An item may not be renewable (such as kits and board games).
Check all due dates carefully to ensure that your renewal requests have gone through. eReceipts are a great way to stay on top of your renewal requests since they include the new due date if an item is renewed.
Renewal Requests for Interlibrary Loan (ILL) Items
Items requested from libraries other than Urbana Free Library or Champaign Public Library cannot be renewed online because we must contact the owning library. Please call 217-367-4057 or ask at Circulation Services if you would like to renew these items.
Trying to keep track of all those items checked out by your children? Want a reminder before your library materials are due? Anxiously awaiting the arrival of your hold requests? Library ELF can help you.
With Library ELF, you can receive and view:
- Email and/or RSS alerts before items are due.
- Email and/or RSS alerts on overdues and hold requests.
- Cell phone text messages for holds. (Your carrier's charges will apply.)
- A consolidated list of your and your family’s loans and holds.
- Consolidated information for cards from multiple libraries on one account (ELF may assess a fee for inclusion of U of I or libraries other than The Urbana Free Library or Champaign Public Library).
- Due dates of library materials in a convenient calendar format.
To sign up:
Visit Library ELF and click on the Sign Up link to create your ELF account. Library ELF is free for Urbana cardholders. You will be required to enter your name, email address, library card number(s), and any corresponding passwords.