- Make a Difference with a Gift to the Library Foundation
- UFL Reads! Tea & Talk
- The Urbana Free Library Cafe and Friends Book Shop
- Starting in January 2014 This Month at The Urbana Free Library Goes Digital
- Prairie Breezes Presents Shalom!
- Young Artists’ Exhibition
- UFLive! Presents the New Orleans Jazz Machine
To sign up for email notification of library events, or an electronic version of the library newsletter, CLICK HERE.
Make a Difference with a Gift to the Library Foundation
To make a donation, use the form on the back of this newsletter or donate online at urbanafreelibrary.org. Please make checks payable to The Urbana Free Library Foundation.
UFL Reads! Tea & Talk
Sunday, December 8 • 2:00 - 3:00 p.m.
MacFarlane-Hood Reading Room
You’re invited to a meet-and-greet with fellow readers at a special UFL Reads! social event. Whether you’re a current or future member, it’s a great way to learn about your library’s book club for adults and plan topics and discussion books for 2014.
Grab your favorite tea or coffee from The Urbana Free Library Cafe and Friends Book Shop and spend a happy hour getting to know each other beyond the books we read together. Come prepared to tell everyone a bit about yourself and share some of your favorite titles.
UFL Reads!, our book club for adults, meets the fourth Sunday of most months.
There’s So Much Going on @ Your Library —
Don’t Miss a Thing!
Sign up for The UFL’s E-notification of Events service and receive a friendly email reminder for library events that may be of interest to you, including when the new edition of the online newsletter is available.
To sign up, visit urbanafreelibrary.org and select “full calendar” at the bottom of the “Calendar of Events” box. You’ll find a link to sign up and select which programs and community meetings interest you.
In 2006, the library added coffee service to quench the overwhelming thirst of the users who had requested it. Aside from the flavorful benefits it provides library users, the presence of the coffee shop offers much more.
- Located in a popular community setting, it adds to the variety of downtown businesses.
- Gently used books for sale with prices that begin at $3. Great for gift exchanges and stocking stuffers.
- Wide array of espresso-based beverages and $1.25 brewed coffee. Bring your non-disposable travel mug for a 25¢ discount on any drink menu item.
- Hot spot to purchase T-shirts, tote bags, thermal mugs, and other library gear.
- Scrumptious seasonal menus—coming up in December, the Holly Java menu.
- It permits the library to keep the historic Race Street entrance accessible all hours the library is open.
Remember, during the holiday season and year-round, when you support the coffee shop, you support the library.
Starting in January 2014
This Month at The Urbana Free Library Goes Digital
Over the past year, it has become apparent that the library’s monthly, paper newsletter has become less popular and our website newsletter has become more popular. As such, we’ve decided to go paperless! Here’s more information about the switch and how you can continue to stay informed about library programs, events, services, and resources:
- Beginning in January, the Web version of the library newsletter will be posted on the website on the 25th of each month.
- The popular paper calendar of children’s programs will still be printed monthly and will also be available online.
- Still to be determined—we’re in discussion with the Friends and the Foundation about a quarterly newsletter that will outline news and events specific to their activities and fund-raising initiatives.
Get Notified by Email When the Current Newsletter Is Available on Our Website
- Go to urbanafreelibrary.org, the home page of the library’s website.
- Under “Calendar of Events,” select “Full calendar.”
- At the top of the page, select the prompt to “To sign-up for E-notification of Events.”
- Enter your email address and select “Continue.”
- Enter your first and last name and use the pull-down “Event Type” menu to select events you would like to stay informed about. You can select as many or as few as you prefer.
- Select “Save” and you’re done!
Prairie Breezes Presents Shalom!
Friday, December 13 • 4:15 - 5:00 p.m.
Enjoy hand-clapping, foot-stomping, eye-weeping music as Shalom! entertains with traditional Eastern European Klezmer music. Solomon Baer (clarinet), Josh Houchin (bass), and Chris Reyman (accordion) will be our guides. For children and their families.
Prairie Breezes concerts are for children and their families and take place on the second Friday of most months. The series is generously sponsored by Peggy and Bob Podlasek in memory of Greg Bliss.
Young Artists’ Exhibition
December 15 - January 11
Children’s Services, Ground Floor
You’re invited to view a celebration of young artists when the creations by students from Hua Nian Art Studio are on display. We’re always impressed by the talents of the young people in our community. We think you will be too!
For more information about Hua Nian Art Studio, visit huanianartstudio.com.
UFLive! Presents the New Orleans Jazz Machine
Sunday, December 15 • 2:00 - 3:30 p.m.
Busey-Mills Reading Room
Back by popular demand! Escape the winter blues and lift your spirits with the sweet, sizzling sounds of the New Orleans Jazz Machine. Led by clarinetist and local favorite Carl Johnson, the “Machine’s” unique blend of Dixieland swing and jazz favorites will delight as well as dazzle. It will be pure pizzazz!
UFLive! concerts offer a diverse lineup of local performers and are scheduled on the third Sunday of most months.
The library would like to thank our generous donors for making this month’s UFLive! possible and for bringing the joy of music to the community.