Your browser (Internet Explorer 7 or lower) is out of date. It has known security flaws and may not display all features of this and other websites. Learn how to update your browser.


Navigate / search

You are here

Get a Card

Non-Residents  |  Non-Resident Property Owners
Reciprocal Borrowers  |   Businesses and Agencies

Woman checking out books at the Circulation Desk.

If you live within the City limits of Urbana, you are eligible for a free library card. To get a card, come to Circulation Services on the main level of the library and present a photo ID and proof of your current Urbana residence, such as a bill addressed to you and postmarked within the last 30 days. Library cards for residents are valid for three years from the date of issue.

There are no age restrictions for library card applicants, but a parent or guardian must co-sign the card of any child who has not yet entered grade six. A child who has entered grade six but not yet entered grade nine can get a middle-school card with reduced checkout limits.

You must apply for, carry, and use your own library card. You are responsible for all use of your card. If you lose your library card, please contact Circulation Services immediately at 217-367-4057.


If you live in the Urbana School District but outside the City limits, it means that you do not pay the tax that supports the library. You are eligible to get a non-resident library card, but you will be required to pay a tax-substitute fee. This fee, which is determined by calculating the yearly amount of library tax your property would owe if it were within the city limits, allows all members of your household to receive their own library cards. For more information about non-resident cards and fees, call Circulation Services at 217-367-4057.

Non-resident library cards can be issued for a one-year period or a four-month period.

Non-Resident Property Owners

If you do not live in Urbana but own property within the City limits, you are eligible for a free library card. One card may be issued per parcel of property to the person whose name appears on the current tax bill. 

Non-resident property owner cards are issued for three years and carry all the privileges of resident cards.

Reciprocal Borrowers

If you live in Illinois and have a valid card at your home library, you are allowed reciprocal borrowing privileges at The Urbana Free Library. To register your card in Urbana, bring your current library card and a photo ID to Circulation Services. Please apply at a time when your home library is open, as we will need to call your library in order to complete your registration. View a copy of our Reciprocal Borrower Questions brochure.

Reciprocal cards are valid for either one year, or until your home library card expires, whichever is shorter.

Businesses and Agencies

A business or agency that occupies property within the City limits of Urbana is eligible for a free library card. To apply for a card, print a copy of our Library Cards for Businesses and Agencies brochure or call the Director of Circulation Services at 217-367-4057.

Library cards issued to Urbana businesses and agencies are valid for three years from the date of issue.

Search CU Catalog

Calendar of Events