You are here
Sherlock Holmes is in the news once again with the release of the theatrical trailer for Mr. Holmes. Based on the 2005 novel, A Slight Trick of the Mind, the movie will feature Sir Ian McKellen as a long-retired version of the famous sleuth.
Can’t wait until this summer? How about engaging in some local fan fiction from The Double-Barrelled Tiger Cubs, a Sherlock Holmes society based at the University of Illinois from 1975-1986. They produced a newsletter, Afghanistanzas, full of parodies, pastiches, beautiful cover art, comprehensive Christmas guides and pre-Internet memes - movie stills with added word bubbles.
The Champaign County Historical Archives has the following issues in our Local Organizations Newsletter collection.
Vol. 7, No. 3, Issue 53 (December 1983) The Christmas Gift Issue (Editor: John Wyman)
The gifts may no longer be available from listed sellers but there is always eBay.
During the heart of the Great Depression, President Roosevelt ordered the creation of the Works Progress Administration. The purpose of the W.P.A. was to get Americans back to work. W.P.A. programs included everything from building flashlights to creating major monuments. Champaign-Urbana took full advantage of this program and made vast improvements that can still be seen today.Read more about Boneyard Creek and the W.P.A.
Before becoming members of the famed Tuskegee Airmen, the 99th Pursuit Squadron first had to be trained properly. Chanute Air Force Base, already housing a premier flight school, became the training ground to one of the most renowned squadrons of World War II.Read more about The Tuskegee Airmen at Chanute Field
On this extremely chilly Throwback Thursday, the Champaign County Historical Archives presents you with the ingredients for a hot toddy.
The liquor and stills below were the results of various raids during the Prohibition era in Champaign County.
Pictured John Brider, Elmer Wolfe, William O’Neil, Assistant State Attorney, S. Gail Renner, Fred Waller, Roy Cline, and John Gray (Sheriff)
- Sherrie B., Archives LibrarianRead more about Prohibition in Champaign County
A true community stalwart, the Douglas Center has been at the heart of the Urbana-Champaign African-American community for 70 years.
Conceived in the era of segregation, planning for the Douglass Community Center began in 1940 because the African-American community’s needs were not being meet with the separate and inadequate facilities available. In particular during the 1940s the community needed a recreational space for the G.I.s stationed at Chanute Field.
Spearheaded by the Douglass Community Service Committee and with the help of public funds and private donations the Douglass Community Center was dedicated September 23, 1945.Read more about The Douglass Center: celebrating 70 years
Have you seen the new banners being sported in downtown Urbana?
A very fitting design since 160 years ago, on February 14, 1855, The City of Urbana was chartered by an act of the Illinois General Assembly.
Here is a snippet from page one of the sixteen page charter: Read more about A Valentine for Urbana
202 West Green Street, once known as the Auler Building, has been slowly dismantled through these past winter months. Yet, this now nearly vacant space once held a vibrant building that housed apartment residents, and later the offices of Robert Auler. For many years the Auler Building was one of The Urbana Free Library’s closest neighbors. On this Throwback Thursday, we would like to honor its memory.
LCRead more about Remembering the Auler Building
One access point to the west portion of campustown is at the intersection of Green and Neil Streets in Champaign. The current railroad bridge and roadway were constructed in 1899 and upgraded in 1923-1924.Read more about Green Street Viaduct
In the summer of 1893, Champaign residents had a pleasurable diversion in the form of West End Park, now known as Eisner Park situated between Church Street and University Avenue. Located on the edge of town, the 6 acres of privately owned land opened to the public on June 17, 1893. Featuring a pavilion commanding fine views of the fairground, a ‘casino’ for dancing and concerts, a baseball field, tennis courts, swings for the younger set, shooting galleries, and a refreshment tent the main attraction was the ‘Great Switchback Railroad,’ a forerunner of the rollercoaster, that boasted traveling one-fourth of a mile in 15 seconds. Read more about West End Park: Champaign's Amusement Park