- Department: Champaign County Historical Archives
- Benefits: No
- Division: N/A
- Time: General minimum of 10 hours per week and maximum of 999 hours per year, as determined by Library needs, including evening and weekend hours.
- Job Type: Non-Civil Service
- FLSA Status: Non-Exempt
- Reports to: Director of Archives & Special Collections
- Wage Range: $12.303-$13.533 per hour
The Champaign County Historical Archives at The Urbana Free Library is seeking applicants to fill an Archives Clerk position. Under the supervision of Director of Archives & Special Collections and other Archives Librarians, the Archives Clerk will perform detailed clerical work that involves receiving and processing of Library materials and the maintenance of Library materials and related files.
- Manages serials subscriptions and membership renewals.
- Processes books, serials, and other Library materials.
- Prepares books and materials for bindery and manages associated files.
- Searches, edits, and enters data in OCLC and POLARIS.
- Does copy cataloging from OCLC.
- Performs other related duties as assigned.
- Participates in Library-wide committees and activities.
- Attends department and other meetings as scheduled.
Education & Experience
- Graduation from high school or equivalent required.
- Two years successful, continuous work experience.
- Passing score on shelving test.
- Library experience preferred.
- Basic word processing, spreadsheet, and database software.
- General office and clerical procedures.
- Familiarity with library automation systems preferred
- Good organizational, interpersonal, and decision-making skills.
- Excellent verbal and nonverbal communication skills.
- Accurate keyboarding.
- Exceptional attention to detail and neatness.
- Dependability and honesty.
- Manual dexterity to perform assigned tasks. Must be able to climb ladder and lift 40 pound boxes to a height of six feet.
- Quickly develop a thorough knowledge of procedures and activities.
- Master complex, detailed routines.
- Understand and follow detailed oral and written instructions.
- Complete work with speed and accuracy.
- Work in a team atmosphere in a consistently cooperative manner.
- Assume responsibility and work neatly, efficiently, and accurately without direct supervision.
- Communicate effectively orally and in writing.
- Learn and follow all relevant Library policies.
- Maximum availability desirable.
Licenses, Certifications, and Memberships Required
- Daily contact with staff and limited contact with patrons.
- Frequent contact with outside organizations, i.e. schools, libraries, genealogical and historical societies, publishers, and bindery.
Working Environment: The work environment characteristics described herein are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- The work will occur primarily at The Urbana Free Library.
Physical Requirements: The physical demands described herein are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
Vision: See in the normal visual range with or without correction; vision sufficient to read computer screens and printed documents; visually inspect work in progress.
Hearing: Hear in the normal audio range with or without correction.
Other: Lifting, pushing, and typing.
The work environment characteristics described herein are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
The duties listed above are intended only as illustrations of the various types of work that may be performed. The omission of specific statements of duties does not exclude them from the position if the work is similar, related, or a logical assignment to the position.
The job description does not constitute an employment agreement between the employer and employee and is subject to change by the employer as the needs of the employer and requirements of the job change.
The Urbana Free Library is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
last updated 07-08-16