The library offers free access to computer workstations as part of its mission to serve the informational, educational, and recreational needs of library users.
To safeguard your security, to log in to public computers, you will need your library card and PIN or picture your ID and PIN provided by staff,
By using computer workstations or personal laptop computers at the library, users automatically agree to abide by the library’s online computer user agreement.
For your convenience, flashdrives ($10.00) and earbuds ($2.00) are available for sale in the Flex-n-Gate Computer Center.
In the Flex-n-Gate Computer Center, you will find
- Computer workstations with Internet access, MS office applications, and digital media software.
- Dedicated workstations for seniors, adults-only, and multi-person use.
- Access to online resources to help you with research or your homework.
- Free computer help from staff and technology volunteers.
Other Computers in the Library
- Parent workstations in Children's Services for adults and caregivers accompanied by young children.
- Internet workstations in Children's Services for those under the age of 8 (accompanied by a caregiver, age 14 or older).
- Workstations with popular educational games in Children's Services for those in grades 5 and under.
- Workstations in the Champaign County Historical Archives for local history and genealogy research.
- Express Internet workstations (15-minute access), located by the library cafe.
Laptop, Chromebook, and Tablet-Lending Service
Our HP ProBook laptops can be used for Internet browsing, document creation and editing, video conferencing, and more. Check out the laptops--and the Chromebooks--at the Flex-n-Gate Computer Center on the second floor or at the question desk on the ground floor. The Library provides free wireless access and a wireless printing service that allows you to print from anywhere in the Library.
The tablets are preloaded with fun and educational games and activities for children ages preschool and up and may be checked out at the question desk on the ground floor.
Tablets, laptops, and Chromebooks may be borrowed by patrons with a high school or adult library card in good standing. They are available on a first-come, first-served basis; they may be reserved if they are in use; and must be used inside the Library only. The devices check out for one hour and may be renewed up to five times, as long as no one else has them on hold.
For more information, contact the question desk (217-367-4069) or reference desk (217-367-4405).
For those with personal laptop computers, the library provides free wireless access to the Internet throughout the building, on Cherry Alley, and on the Race Street porch. If you experience problems with connecting or with speed while using the library’s wireless access, please notify library staff. The library’s wireless access is not on a secure network, unless you are connected to a website that employs encryption. Please keep this in mind if you are conducting sensitive business or accessing personal information online.
The Library offers convenient printing from any of our Internet access workstations. Printers are available in the Flex-n-Gate Computer Center as well as the Children's Department. Printing costs: 15¢ / page for black & white, 75¢ for color; the machine will accept coins and bills (up to $5.00 bills), no credit cards accepted.